Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Life is NOT All or Nothing

Hello Everyone!  Getting to this later than I wanted but I am here!  Today was a tough day and I was totally thrown off track.  I had so much to do, planned to get up early and get right to my whole list of to do's.  Sure enough I got up, ate breakfast, took my supplements, all ready to get started and I simultaneously received two calls from my sisters.  I knew right away something was wrong.  Dad was rushed to the hospital.  Of course, complete stop on my do list - everything and anything planned.  Fast forward after many anxious hours later, much pacing, countless calls back and forth to the hospital, looking up airflights home if I needed to jump on a plane, but word came that Dad is doing better.  Thank GOD!

That is where I knew I needed to talk about life not being all or nothing - family, friends, pets, work,.... - WILL get in the way of our good intended plans to have the healthy lifestyle like I started talking about yesterday.   Believe me I know!  It is ok, though.  There is no need to panic.  Do not punish yourself by quitting working towards that healthy lifestyle.  As well, do not use these interruptions as an excuse to give it up.  Life is not about being all or nothing.  Tomorrow is another day.  You can get yourself back on track right where you left off.   Pick right back up on eating better, taking your supplements, getting your workouts in,.....  and don't look back.  Yesterday is gone.  Keep working on the todays and looking forward to the tomorrows!  I promise you it is all worth it.

Here are some of the ideas I use for abbreviated but effectful workouts when "life" gets in the way!  I try to find some room and then move for 10-20 minutes.  I use bodyweight exercises combined with cardio movement - brisk walking, stair climbing, running in place, jumping rope, use your imagination!

Some of the bodyweight exercises that are the best to focus on are:


bodyweight squats (and variations)
forward, reverse, or walking lunges

pushups (and variations)
bicep curls

tricep overhead extensions

shoulder overhead lifts, side lateral lifts and front lateral lifts
floor planks (holding the plank position from forearms and feet)

floor abs exercises such as lying leg thrusts, ab bicycles, etc.

Now here are some ideas I have put together!


If I have a parking lot that is not heavily used I will do walking lounges across it and as I walk back I will do an upper body exercise - shoulder lifts, side lateral lifts, front lifts, bicep curls,  tricep overhead extensions - all using bodyweight resistance.   I will repeat this 4 or 5 times.  It will get your heartrate up!

Stairs are always great, too!  For 1-2 minutes do some brisk stair climbing.  Then I will do stair lunges, with both feet on the bottom stair, heels extended off the edge, do 10-20 lunges with arms extended and back straight.  Repeat!

The healthy lifestyle is doable and flexible - you just need to think poisitve, give up that all or nothing thinking and enjoy how great it feels being healthy!

Everyone have a wonderful night!  Pray for my Dad!
June

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home